i wanted a fairly simple skirt that i could wear on my own or under another skirt (like the black gored skirt that i am in the process of making from the book alabama studio style). the pleated section will peek a boo out from the bottom of the other skirt.
i made this skirt without even using a pattern. it has a very simply construction. it is basically 5 tiers of fabric.
i am going to walk you through how i did it so that if you want to make one you can.
here is what you need:
2 yd (probably, i am guessing. i don’t remember how much of this stuff i had originally bought) jersey knit yardage (in color of your choice. mine is grey.)
thread in same color
ruler / cutting board
1. measure your waist. divide that by .75 = length of jersey to be cut (mine was 28 in long). then you want it to be 4 1/2 in tall.
2. double your length of jersey = tier #2 length. this one is 6 in tall.
3. sew a basting stitch through the entire length and then gather it up to your waist length in the first tier. pin in place.
4. sew in place using a stretchy stitch. i hand stitched mine using a herringbon stitch. it worked great. if you want to do this on your machine a simple zig zag will work fine.
5. this is what it will look like now. for tier #3 take your length from tier #2 and add 3in. again 6 in tall.
6. pin it in place to the bottom of tier #2. i overlapped the edges for each tier 1/2 in. i made the tier above the new one be on top all the way down.
7. i did two rows of running stitch. for the rest of the tiers i only did one row of running stitch. whichever you want to use is completely up to you and your style.
8. tier #4, take the length of tier #3 and add another 3in to the length and make it 6 in tall. repeat steps 6 and 7.
9. now we are ready for the final tier. this one is double the length of tier #4 and 4 1/2 in tall. (you will have to piece this together to get the length that you want. just so that you are warned. you can gather this tier as in step 3 or place pleats about every 2 in. i used pleats because i didn’t have enough yardage for the gathered bottom, though i think i would have liked it more.
10. last step. sewing up the last seam. fold your skirt in half right sides facing and stitch along the seam using 1/2 seam allowance.